According to usprivateschoolsfinder, Oakhurst, Texas is located in the eastern part of the state, about an hour away from the larger city of Houston. It has a population of just over 10,000 people and is situated in a rural area. Geographically Oakhurst is mostly flat with some rolling hills and open fields. The climate is generally hot and humid during the summer months, while winters are mild with occasional cold spells.
The history of Oakhurst dates back to 1881 when it was first settled as a small farming community. Over time, it grew into a thriving small town with various businesses and industries, such as lumber mills and cotton gins. In recent years, there has been an influx of new residents who have embraced Oakhurst’s rural charm.
Politics in Oakhurst are generally conservative leaning due to its rural nature. The town is led by an elected mayor and five-member council who all serve four-year terms. There is also a local police force that keeps the peace within the town limits.
The economy in Oakhurst has traditionally been based on agriculture and small businesses but recently there has been more emphasis on tourism due to its close proximity to Houston and other larger cities in Texas. The town also boasts several educational institutions including a high school, college preparatory school, community college, and technical school which offer students various learning opportunities beyond traditional academic subjects.
Some notable landmarks found in Oakhurst include the historic courthouse square which was built in 1889; The Old Mill which was built around 1830; and the old First National Bank building which was built around 1900 but now serves as a museum dedicated to local history and culture. These landmarks give visitors an opportunity to explore the area’s rich past while enjoying all that modern day Oakhurst has to offer.
Males: 117 (50.9%), Females: 113 (49.1%)
San Jacinto County
Zip code: 77359
Median resident age: 39.0 years
Median household income: $39,167
Median house value: $54,500
Races in Oakhurst:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.7%)
- Black (14.8%)
- Hispanic (3.0%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.7%), United States (15.2%), German (11.7%), English (9.1%), Danish (3.5%), French (2.6%).
Land area: 1.6 square miles
Oakhurst, Texas is a small town in the eastern part of the state. It has a population of just over 2,000 people, with most of them being families or retirees. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with a small percentage of African-Americans and Hispanics also living in town. The median income is slightly below the national average, but there are still plenty of jobs available in Oakhurst due to its close proximity to larger towns and cities. There are many businesses located in town that provide services such as automotive repair, retail stores, and restaurants. The schools in Oakhurst are excellent, with some of the highest test scores in the state for both elementary and secondary education. The town also has several parks and recreation centers where residents can get together for events or just to enjoy nature. Lastly, Oakhurst boasts a vibrant arts scene with several galleries showcasing local artists’ work and an annual music festival that brings in performers from all over Texas.
For population 25 years and over in Oakhurst
- High school or higher: 72.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oakhurst city
- Never married: 12.0%
- Now married: 71.0%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 7.0%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Oakhurst:
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER TRINITY (about 15 miles; TRINITY, TX)
- HUNTSVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX)
- MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER LIVINGSTON (about 29 miles; LIVINGSTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Oakhurst:
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 54 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 73 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 77 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Oakhurst:
- HUNTSVILLE MUNI (about 19 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: UTS)
- LIVINGSTON MUNI (about 21 miles; LIVINGSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 00R)
- GROVETON-TRINITY COUNTY (about 27 miles; GROVETON, TX; Abbreviation: 33R)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oakhurst:
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 56 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 56 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 63 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 63 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 64 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)