According to topschoolsintheusa, Linwood is a small city located in Atlantic County, New Jersey. The population of Linwood is estimated to be around 9,000 people as of 2020. Geographically, the city is located on the mainland and is bordered by the Mullica River to the north and Absecon Bay to the south. The climate in Linwood is humid subtropical with hot and humid summers and cold winters.
The history of Linwood goes back to colonial times when it was first settled by Dutch immigrants in 1690. In 1710 it was officially incorporated as a borough. During this time, it served as an important port for trade between Philadelphia and New York City. In 1876, it was reincorporated as a city after becoming a popular summer resort for wealthy Philadelphians due to its convenient location near both cities.
The politics of Linwood are dominated by the Democratic party with most elected officials being members of that party. The economy of Linwood is mainly based on tourism, with several hotels and resorts located throughout the city. There are also some small businesses such as restaurants, bars, shops, and galleries that contribute to its economy.
Linwood has several schools in its district including an elementary school, middle school, high school and vocational-technical school all providing quality education for residents. There are also several private schools in the area offering religious-based education options for families who wish to send their children there instead of public schools.
Finally, there are many landmarks throughout Linwood such as historic homes from the colonial period, churches dating back centuries ago, some beautiful parks such as Lincoln Park which offers stunning views of Absecon Bay from its boardwalk on top of a sand dune overlooking the beach below; and many other attractions like boat tours on Absecon Bay or fishing charters out on Atlantic Ocean waters just off shore from Linwood’s coastlines .
Population: 7,172. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,398 (+3.2% change)
Males: 3,343 (46.6%), Females: 3,829 (53.4%)
Median resident age: 42.8 years
Median household income: $60,000
Median house value: $165,100
Races in Linwood:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Black (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.5%)
- Korean (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.6%), Italian (22.4%), German (17.7%), English (14.6%), Russian (5.7%), United States (4.7%).
Land area: 3.8 square miles
Linwood is a small city located in Atlantic County, New Jersey. With a population of about 8,000 people, it is considered to be one of the smaller cities in the state. The median household income for Linwood residents is around $60,000 and the median home value is approximately $320,000. The cost of living in Linwood is slightly higher than the national average due to its close proximity to Philadelphia and Atlantic City.
The majority of Linwood’s population is Caucasian and most identify as Christian. There are also a large number of African Americans, Hispanics and Asians living in the city. Most people who live in Linwood are employed in professional or white-collar jobs such as law enforcement, health care, education or banking. There are also many small businesses located throughout the town that employ local residents.
The cost of living in Linwood can be quite high due to its close proximity to two major cities and its higher than average housing costs. The median rent for a two-bedroom apartment is around $1,500 per month while groceries tend to run about 10% higher than national averages. Utilities also tend to be slightly higher than other parts of New Jersey but overall prices for goods and services remain reasonable compared to nearby cities like Philadelphia and Atlantic City.
For population 25 years and over in Linwood
- High school or higher: 90.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 37.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.0%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Linwood city
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 64.4%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 9.8%
- Divorced: 5.8%
4.4% Foreign born (2.0% Europe, 1.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +303 (+4.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Linwood:
- SHORE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; SOMERS POINT, NJ)
- ATLANTIC CITY MEDICAL CTR (about 10 miles; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ)
- BETTY BACHARACH REHAB CENTER (about 10 miles; POMONA, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Linwood:
- ATLANTIC CITY INTERNATIONAL (about 8 miles; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Abbreviation: ACY)
- MC GUIRE AFB (about 45 miles; WRIGHTSTOWN, NJ; Abbreviation: WRI)
- LAKEHURST NAES /MAXFIELD FIELD (about 50 miles; LAKEHURST, NJ; Abbreviation: NEL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Linwood:
- OCEAN CITY MUNI (about 8 miles; OCEAN CITY, NJ; Abbreviation: 26N)
- ATLANTIC CITY MUNI/BADER FIELD (about 9 miles; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Abbreviation: AIY)
- STEEL PIER TAJ MAHAL (about 11 miles; ATLANTIC CITY, NJ; Abbreviation: 92N)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Linwood:
- THE RICHARD STOCKTON COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY (about 10 miles; POMONA, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,526)
- ATLANTIC CAPE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; MAYS LANDING, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,086)
- BURLINGTON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; PEMBERTON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,751)
- ROWAN UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; GLASSBORO, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,587)
- CAMDEN COUNTY COLLEGE (about 45 miles; BLACKWOOD, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,662)
- GLOUCESTER COUNTY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; SEWELL, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,135)
- OCEAN COUNTY COLLEGE (about 51 miles; TOMS RIVER, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,651)
Public high schools in Linwood:
- MAINLAND REG H S (Students: 1,646; Location: OAK AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CHARTER TECH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 248; Location: 390 POPLAR AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Linwood:
- BELHAVEN MIDDLE SCH (Students: 521; Location: BELHAVEN AVE; Grades: 05 – 08)
- SEAVIEW ELEM SCH (Students: 499; Location: WABASH AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
Private primary/middle school in Linwood:
- CREATIVE LEARNING PRE-SCHOOL I (Students: 216; Location: 515 W HAMILTON AVE.; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Linwood:
- LINWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $202,258; Location: 301 DAVIS AVENUE; 37,531 books; 1,475 audio materials; 1,015 video materials; 91 serial subscriptions)