Kearny, New Jersey is a small town with a population of just over 40,000 people. Located in Hudson County, it is within close proximity to Newark and Jersey City. The geography of Kearny is mostly flatland with some hilly areas on the outskirts of town. The climate in Kearny is mild and humid, with temperatures ranging from an average low of 32°F in January to an average high of 81°F in July. See topbbacolleges for information about Atlantic County, New Jersey.
Kearny has a rich history that dates back to the early 1600s when it was first settled by Dutch colonists. It was later incorporated as a town in 1867 and developed as an industrial center for the production of silk, paper, leather goods and other goods. In recent years, Kearny has become increasingly diverse as people from all over the world have moved into the area.
In terms of politics, Kearny is part of the 30th Legislative District which consists solely of Hudson County municipalities. It is represented by Democrats in both houses at both state and federal levels. The economy in Kearny is largely based on manufacturing and retail services but there are also numerous small businesses located throughout town that provide jobs for local residents.
Kearny has several public schools including elementary schools, middle schools and high schools as well as several private schools throughout town. There are also many landmarks located throughout Kearny such as the Kearny Town Hall which dates back to 1883; St Stephen’s Church which was built in 1896; and the historic Harrison Avenue Bridge which crosses over Newark Bay into Bayonne NJ.
Population: 40,513. Estimated population in July 2020: 38,771 (-4.3% change)
Males: 20,901 (51.6%), Females: 19,612 (48.4%)
Median resident age: 34.7 years
Median household income: $47,757
Median house value: $158,200
Races in Kearny:
- White Non-Hispanic (60.3%)
- Hispanic (27.3%)
- Other race (10.0%)
- Two or more races (4.3%)
- Black (4.0%)
- Chinese (2.1%)
- Asian Indian (2.1%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (13.4%), Italian (12.1%), Portuguese (11.8%), Polish (7.8%), German (6.2%), United States (2.8%).
Elevation: 125 feet
Land area: 9.1 square miles
Kearny, New Jersey is a small town located in Hudson County. According to the 2010 census, it had a population of 40,684 people. The town is known for its diverse population, with people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds including Italian, Irish and Portuguese. The median household income in Kearny is $73,890 which is slightly higher than the national average.
The cost of living in Kearny is slightly higher than the national average but still fairly affordable. Housing costs are slightly above the national average with an average home price of $318,000 compared to $226,000 nationally. Rent prices are also higher than the national average with an average rent of $1,500 per month compared to $1,200 nationally. Groceries and utilities are also slightly above the national average but still relatively affordable. Overall, Kearny has a low unemployment rate and good job opportunities for residents.
For population 25 years and over in Kearny
- High school or higher: 70.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Kearny town
- Never married: 33.0%
- Now married: 50.9%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 7.0%
38.2% Foreign born (18.7% Latin America, 13.4% Europe, 5.0% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +5,646 (+16.2%).
Hospital/medical center in Kearny:
- WEST HUDSON HOSPITAL (206 BERGEN AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Kearny:
- CLARA MAASS MEDICAL CENTER (about 3 miles; BELLEVILLE, NJ)
- ST JAMES HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; NEWARK, NJ)
- MOUNT CARMEL GUILD (about 4 miles; NEWARK, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Kearny:
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 6 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- TETERBORO (about 9 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 11 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Kearny:
- NEWARK NR 1 (about 3 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N4)
- WEST 30TH ST. (about 10 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRA)
- LITTLE FERRY (about 11 miles; LITTLE FERRY, NJ; Abbreviation: 2N7)
Amtrak stations near Kearny:
- 3 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 7 miles: NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NEWARK, ). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
- 11 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Kearny:
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEWARK (about 4 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,878)
- NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 4 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,565)
- ESSEX COUNTY COLLEGE (about 4 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,893)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY (about 4 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,134)
- HUDSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,630)
- SAINT PETERS COLLEGE (about 6 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,643)
- NEW JERSEY CITY UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; JERSEY CITY, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,582)
Public high schools in Kearny:
- KEARNY HIGH (Students: 1,660; Location: 336 DEVON ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- HCST KEARNY CENTER (Location: 336 DEVON STREET; Grades: 12 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Kearny:
- FRANKLIN (Students: 988; Location: 100 DAVIS AVE; Grades: PK – 08)
- WASHINGTON (Students: 636; Location: 80 BELGROVE DR; Grades: PK – 08)
- LINCOLN (Students: 635; Location: 101 BEECH ST; Grades: PK – 08)
- GARFIELD (Students: 552; Location: 360 BELGROVE DR; Grades: PK – 06)
- SCHUYLER (Students: 501; Location: 644 FOREST ST; Grades: PK – 08)
- ROOSEVELT (Students: 412; Location: 733 KEARNY AVE; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Kearny:
- SACRED HEART (Students: 424; Location: 22 WILSON AVENUE; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST STEPHEN (Students: 302; Location: 131 MIDLAND AVENUE; Grades: PK – 8)
- ST CECILIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 249; Location: 114 CHESTNUT STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- MT CARMEL GUILD SCHOOL (Students: 58; Location: 60 KINGSLAND AVE; Grades: UG – UG)
Library in Kearny:
- KEARNY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $874,246; Location: 318 KEARNY AVENUE; 101,664 books; 574 audio materials; 2,865 video materials; 165 serial subscriptions)