At The GlashÜTter Manufaktur Visitors Are Welcome, History Is Ubiquitous And The Future Is Taken Care Of
The manufactory Glashütte Original stands in the tradition of Glashütter watchmaking. It all began in May 1845, when the Saxon state government, Ferdinand Adolph Lange, granted credit for the construction of a watch factory. From this point onwards, the village in the Erzgebirge grew into a location for the watch industry. In 1916, Karl W. Höhnel, Glashütter watchmaker and owner of the “Workshop for watchmaking, precision hard turning and precision mechanics”, presented his pendulum clocks with the inscription “Glashütte Original” for the first time.
The difficult after-war years were followed by the golden age of glass-making precision watchmaking and war production in the Second World War. Now all Glashütter watch companies, which are still existing, have been grouped together under the name “VEB Glashütter Watchshops”; the Volksseigene Betrieb (VEB) produced mechanical and quartz clocks. Four years after reunification, Treuhand sold the company. From now on, the focus was exclusively on high-quality mechanical watches via Watchtutorials, the brand name Glashütte Original.
At the turn of the year the Swatch Group took over the company and made significant investments: Glashütte Original opened boutiques and renovated the factory from scratch.Today, the collection consists of four pillars: from the “Quintessenz”, which mainly contains classic watches, over the technically sophisticated models of the line “Art & Technology” to the “Ladies” collection. With the “Vintage of the 20th Century” series, Glashütte Original succeeds in establishing a formal language with the 1960s and 1970s, producing millions of automatic wristwatches under the popular brand name “Spezimatic”. Today, all the works in their equipment and finishing follow the traditions of the glass-clock watchmaking art.
Fact # 1 About GlashÜTte Original: Visit To The Manufactory Is Welcome
As one of the few watch brands in the world, Glashütte Original offers the possibility to visit the manufactory – by appointment. A tour on four levels leads past all production areas.Short films and showcases show visitors how Glashütte Original produces the individual parts for their watches. An employee of the company accompanies each tour and answers all questions. The tour takes about two hours.
Fact # 2 About GlashÜTte Original: The Story Has Preserved A Space
On May 22, 2008 the foundation “Deutsches Uhrenmuseum Glashütte – Nicolas G. Hayek” opened the German watchmaker Glashütte. Special exhibitions and antique watches are held here, as well as about 450 exhibits from the 165-year history of Glashütter watch making – from the founding in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange to the present. To date, the museum has welcomed over 250,000 visitors.
Fact # 3 About GlashÜTte Original: Employee Fluctuation
When Treuhand sold the company after the reunification, a large part of the approximately 1,000 employees had to be dismissed. Only a core staff of 72 employees remained behind.Today, 570 employees are members of Glashütte Original. Of the 72 employees, who in the nineties gave the reboot, are still currently active in the company.
Fact # 4 About GlashÜTte Original: For Newcomers Is Taken Care Of
In the year 2001 the building, which houses the German Clock Museum, was restored to its original function: Glashütte Original was founded by the watchmaker Alfred Helwig , who has their rooms in the same house as the German watch museum. At present, up to 24 young people can learn the watchmaking trade. In addition, the school trains four toolmakers every year, in order to take them into their own operations.
Fact # 5 about Glashütte Original: The promotion of young talents is rewarded
In addition to the new generation of watchmakers, Glashütte Original also promotes talents from the cultural sector such as music and film. For example, since 2004 the “Glashütte Original Music Festival” has been awarded during the Dresden Music Festival. The award, endowed with 25,000 euros, honors an artist who has made a special contribution to the promotion of young talents. In 2016 the prize went to the Latvian conductor and designated conductor of the Gewandhauskapellmeister Andris Nelsons. Glashütte Original is also an important partner for the Berlinale. In 2017 the documentary film prize, sponsored by Glashütte Original and endowed with 50,000 euros, will be presented for the first time at the Berliner Filmfestspiele.